The birthplace of Route 66, home of the (minor league) Cardinals, and full of history, Springfield has grown into a thriving city in southwestern Missouri. Located in the heart of the Ozarks, this bustling town provides a plethora of attractions to experience!
- Johnny Morris’ Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium – Have an empty afternoon? Check out the 1.5 million-gallon tank! With guided tours and over a mile of walking trails, experience the ocean by surrounding yourself with multiple exhibits. For an added thrill, sign up for the “Out to Sea Shark Dive” by hopping into a cage and being submerged to be up-close and personal with different varieties of sharks!
- The World’s Largest Fork – Looking for a quick stop on the way to your next adventure? Take a selfie with the largest fork! A plaque will encourage you to even use a hashtag when you post your forking good picture. Signifying the home of the Food Channel, the 35-foot-tall utensil weighs a whopping 11 tons. Make this your American Leaning Tower of Pisa!
- Route 66 Car Museum – Why visit Springfield and *not* experience the history of the birthplace of Mother Road? Spanning from Chicago to Los Angeles, the famed Route 66 has been the focal point of American development (and the setting for the Pixar movie Cars). Experience the classic cars in this quaint venue, some cars sitting at over 100 years old!
- Hammons Field – Home of the Springfield Cardinals, AA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals, Hammons Field brings a classic touch of America’s favorite pastime to the Queen of the Ozarks. The stadium was completed in 2004, and since 2005 has been home to minor league baseball. The Cardinals host many promotional nights throughout the season; in the off-season, check their social media for events held in the outfield!
- Craft Axe Throwing – Since 2018, Craft Axe Throwing has been a prime leader in leisure and competitive axe throwing. The Springfield location was the second to open its doors in August of 2018 and the company has since grown into 11 locations throughout the Midwest and the Southeast United States. Bring your friends to show who is the baddest axe of them all; you can schedule a session online or walk-in, and be trained by our “axeperts” on throwing techniques and bring out your inner Viking! Craft Axe Throwing also has locally crafted beers and seltzers available for purchase!
Whether you are more into nature, history, or sports, Springfield is surrounded by the beautiful Ozarks, providing hiking trails, or head downtown for a more urban experience. Set your sights on the bullseye with this list to make your time in Springfield “kick axe!”